Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Getting Through the Brick Wall

December 14, 2011 – When is the last time I sat down to write? Early November? Where have the weeks gone? Seems I’ve been caught up in a time of transition. These things happen to me periodically. I get to a brick wall that seems insurmountable and I feel like I’m in a battle to find my way to the other side, beyond the wall, to a place where I know who I am, what I want to do, and how I’m going to live my life to serve God. So, the battle began about 6 weeks ago, I suppose. I tried to scale up the brick wall. Hard to do. The surface is flat with no foot-holds to secure my climb. I move over to a different part of the wall to see if I can leverage anything on that side that will help me make my way up. No luck. Maybe if I tunnel under the wall! Oh, but that wall’s foundation is deep. I use my little shovel and furiously dig, dig, dig to find an opening to tunnel my way to the other side to no avail. Perhaps I should go around the wall! I go to the left, but end up walking for miles in that direction and find no end to it. The road to the right finds me in the same precarious position. No way around this one.  If I can’t go over it, under it, or around it, I suddenly realize that in order to break through the barrier of my brick wall, I must go through it. I chip away at the wall, bit by bit, rediscovering the person I am, the person I’ve become, the plan God has for me. I realize that all this climbing, digging and walking around the brick wall was to no avail because in order to come through on the other side, one must find their own truth and persevere through the unknown.  As I chisel through the wall, I wonder, how thick is it? When will the light begin to peek through so I’m back on track and can see my path again? All I know for sure is that it’s the hard work, perseverance, and faith in the light on the other side that makes it all worth it. Wait! Is that a light I see?

No comments:

Post a Comment