Sunday, October 13, 2013

Stepping Out of Routine

Last Friday, something incredible happened: I had nothing scheduled in the afternoon. No meetings. No conference calls. No work that HAD to be completed. What to do with the free time? I had wanted to visit a local library and peruse some books and maybe pick up a couple of movies for the weekend. So I went!

It's an "Anythink" library, and very different from the traditional, stuffy libraries I remember going to when I was younger. "SHHH" is a four-letter word (or so the library café server's t-shirt said) and videos are rented and dispensed Red Box-style. You check out books on your own using a computer scanner, and there are many places to sit and read, or work, or just daydream.

I started my library adventure by first ordering a cup of chai. As I waited for the library barista to whip up my hot drink, I noticed the people sitting at the nearby tables with their computers and coffees, just working and collaborating with one another. I spun around and saw the abundance of DVDs ready for me to peruse. Down the way, there was a computer workstation area where people were working on their own and also helping one another out with whatever it was they were doing.

I got my chai and walked over to the DVDs where I immediately picked out three that looked appealing. Of course, they were older movies, but ones that I had never seen before. And, they were FREE! Then, I meandered over to the business books section where it felt as if a couple of books were just calling to me. At Anythink, they organize the books by title instead of author, and it was just strange to me that those two books were on the same shelf. I walked down the aisle a bit further and turned the corner only to find a book displayed that also captured my attention. By now, I was looking like a library junkie, with my 3 DVDs and 3 books stacked in my arms. But it felt good. And, did I mention they were all FREE?

Then, I continued meandering and found my way to a cozy area of comfy chairs situated around a fireplace with a sign hanging above that just said "relax". I knew this was the place for me. For the next two hours there I sat - reading, jotting down notes, and sipping my chai. Nirvana.

Pretty soon, the lights started flicking off and on, signaling that the library was getting ready to close. 5:30 already? Where had the time gone?

As I walked out in the cool air with my books and DVDs in hand (all free for me to use for the next couple of weeks) I couldn't help but think that this had truly been an exceptional afternoon. One where I stepped out of routine and felt so much better for having done it.

What can you do this week that is outside of your normal routine? Who knows, maybe it'll change your entire perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment