Sunday, November 3, 2013

Oh, the Pressure!

I’m a scheduling and time management maniac. In college and throughout my early working days I used to put on time management seminars. I even created a self-bound book called “Achieving Balance in Your Hectic Life” with entire chapters dedicated to goal setting and effective time management.

Always by my side is my trusty FranklinCovey™ planner, with colorful, detailed plans for today, as well as the weeks and months ahead. I follow the FranklinCovey system to the letter, check-marking  items as I accomplish them, putting an “A” next to items that must be completed that day, making a “dot” next to the items that have been started but are not yet completed, and arrows next to those that need to be moved to the next day. I’m obsessed. Sometimes, when I accomplish something that is not on my list, I’ll write it down and then put a check mark by it. I told you – obsessed.

So, when I woke up this morning realizing I that our clocks had “fallen back” with Daylight Savings Time coming to an end, I was exhilarated as I woke up at 6:42, knowing that it was ACTUALLY 5:42! 

Oh! What am I going to do with that extra hour?

Then, panic set in when I started writing down my list for the day. Nothing seemed to be that earth-shatteringly important:
  • Laundry
  • Grocery shopping
  • Dust/vacuum
  • Change clocks
  • Sort mail

BORING!

So, what am I going to do with that precious, extra hour? I’m going to take my own advice and point my feet in the direction I want to go. I’m going to do something that is aligned with my purpose. I’m taking my 17 year-old son out to lunch today. Mom and son bonding – an hour very well spent.

What did you do with yours?

1 comment:

  1. Love it, Cindy!
    Like you, I've lived by my Franklin system for the last (almost) 3 decades and I was thrilled to be blessed with "a bonus hour" yesterday. My kids have long teased that I'm probably the only one on the planet that doesn't sleep in on "fall back" day, opting to still get up at the time designated by my body rather than the freshly reset clock. I look at it as a gift every year, and cherish the extra hour of solitude for weeks until my body naturally resets its clock. As for my extra hour, I chose to read while listening to sounds of a house still asleep.

    ReplyDelete